Monday, February 6, 2012

Roasted Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon Cooked in Staub Dutch Oven

Place the Chicken on the carrots and veggies to keep way from the fat
Roasted Chicken with rosemary, butter and lemon. One pot cooking with a Staub dutch oven (9qt). Very easy to make and your home will smell like a French restaurant after a few hours of cooking.

Hands down, I prefer Staub over the more expensive Le Creuset when it comes to my enameled cast-iron cooking vessel. Staub, a traditional French design, is a hand-finished round dutch oven ideal for stews, soups, roasts and braises. This Dutch oven distributes and retains heat evenly and effectively and requires no seasoning.

Another superior feature of Staub is their self-basting lid. The spikes on the lid distribute juices throughout cooking, so food stays moist and flavorful. Durable matte-enamel finish won’t discolor (like Le Creuset), rust or chip. Ceramic base is suitable for all heat sources, including induction.

Lunch is ready - cooking with my Staub

Right out of the oven and ready to eat just 2.5 hours later.





this is all you need for the roast chicken

Start with veggies

-- 3 Red and white potatoes
-- 4 shallots
-- 6 large carrots
-- butter
-- Salt and pepper
-- couple sticks of rosemary
-- whole chicken (organic)

Tools
-- Staub Dutch oven
-- paring Knife
-- Pre-heat oven to 350


What you will need to make the chicken... not much

Wash the organic chicken well and remove the mysterious little plastic baggie filled with giblets; liver, heart, gizzards and the neck from inside the chicken. Dry the outside of the chicken. Once dry, use a paring knife to cut the skin away from the chicken meat. The knife should be very sharp.


After cutting the skin away from the meat, stuff with butter, rosemary and lemon

Push the rosemary and lemon under the chicken skin - also use some butter. At this point, start to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


Chicken is stuffed under the skin with butter, rosemary, lemon, salt and pepper

Place chicken aside and now fill the Staub Dutch oven with the clean veggies


Layer the bottom of the Staub Oven with carrots

Carrots first - I do not cut them since they keep the chicken above the fat.


after layering carrots, add shallots, potatoes

After carrots, add the chopped shallots, chopped potatoes, and some salt and pepper


Place the Chicken on the carrots and veggies to keep way from the fat

Place chicken on the veggies and drizzle with lemon and butter.


My beautiful 9qt Staub Dutch Oven

Cover and cook at 350 degrees for two or three hours. I check the chicken after two hours to make sure it's OK. "Hello... You OK in there?"








After cooking for 3 hours

Done! Remove or drain the drippings and fat from the Staub oven. What's great about this Dutch oven is it can go from oven directly to table.  But, be careful when handling as it's hot and very heavy.   After the Dutch oven has cooled off, it can now go from table to refrigerator.



Day 2 Leftovers
Roasted Chicken Warm Spinach Salad with Lemon

Re-heating chicken in my All-Clad 10inch fry pan

Re-heat the chicken, carrots and potatoes in a 10 inch All-Chald fry pan.


Chicken Spinach Lunch - Cooking with my Staub Dutch oven

Place the warm chicken, carrots and potatoes on the fresh bed of spinach. Drizzle with lemon, pepper and olive oil.


Day 3 Leftovers
Chicken Frittata with Spinach, potatoes and carrots

Grains and Frittata for Lunch

I really love this dish. It's great warm, room temp or cold. I've added some Sriracha sauce and a side of cooked barley. I wish I never met you Sriracha sauce! I love you on everything. It adds just the right amount of heat to any dish without over powering flavor.

Check out how I made the Frittata! You'll love it!


Buon Appetito!







13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! You cook chickens for the purpose of several meals just like I do.i have had the Coq au vin staub for years and just got the 9 quart round for Christmas (swoon). I was searching for recipe ideas for batch cooking in this big boy and found your post. Lovely!

Louisa Pickering said...

Thank you! I got mine for Christmas and love it! I live alone so I have to get creative with leftovers! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Im very new to blogging and it's nice to see someone is reading it!!

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Thanks for this recipe! I made it for Easter and again this Sunday for some guests. It was really delicious both times. The chicken just falls off the bones! Even when I tried to flip it to brown the bottom it fell apart. Thanks. :)

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louisa Pickering said...

Thank you so much for the comment. I'm just now seeing it! I love making the most out of a whole chicken and enjoy home cooking! Thanks again!!

Louisa Pickering said...

That is so great! I'm always so happy people enjoy cooking! Happy (late) Easter! Thanks Jen!!

Jen said...

I've made this at least five times now and it anyways turns out well. It's what I make when I want to impress guests.

Anonymous said...

The chicken came out dry.

Shannon Scott, LEED Green Associate said...

I have the Staub cocotte/oval with the chicken lid ornament. I also like Staub better than Le Creuset which I have a few pieces of, but think the Staub has a better finish and detail. I wish Staub made a 13qt in white! Le Creuset makes the bigger sizes for stews and such.

Top 8 Dutch Ovens said...

very nice blog! disgn so good color combination so attractive, i am very happy for use this bog! thankyou for shearing this information with us!