Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sunday Afternoon With Jess - Hog Island Oyster Style

Hog Island Oysters = BBQ'ing on a lazy sunday in Nov. 2011

I'm working a part-time, seasonal job at William Sonoma so my weekends are not as footloose and fancy free as they use to be. So, I went to work on Sunday feeling a bit deflated that I couldn't join friend for brunch, meet up with the 9:30AM biking group... etc. I got a text around noon time from my friend Jess asking if I was up for a road trip around 2PM - HELL YES! Perfect since I was schedule to end my shift at 2 - stars were aligning.

We drove north across the Golden Gate Bride towards Tomales Bay. Our destination - Hog Island Oysters - about 40 miles north of San Francisco. It was a lovely ride up the coast along a very windy road with a great view of the Pacific ocean. We got to HIO in time for several oysters, some Cowgirl Creamery Cheese, a very nice bottle of the Wattle Creek Sauvignon Blanc and fresh baked local bread. Come to think of it, it was all local cheese, oysters, wine and bread. I really enjoyed the Sweet water raw oysters, but the BBQ were my favorite. So good, I had to dip my bread in to the shell to get the last of the sauce - yum!
Hog Island Oysters on a lazy Sunday in Nov. 2011
Hog Island Oysters has an outside communal seating area with park like picnic benches.  Some people brought their own food and wine and just purchased oysters! I remember thinking it's the end of November and we are picnic'ing and BBQ'ing outside...Awesome! Had a very 'east coast' flavor to the day.  We all spend the Sunday afternoon talking, BBQ'ing and eating some DAMN good oysters.

I can't wait to go back!!!

No comments: